July 02, 2007

chat? i'll pass...

ok, with all this new fangled technology, i think we're worse off for human communication. or maybe that's just me. take for instance, texts, chats, emails. now all of these have a place in my life. they should be for quick drops of communication which should require yes, nos, or maybes as a response. do i use them responsibly and in context? o heck no.

so i'm anti-ing instant messaging. for a week. just to see how it goes. there have been many a time, especially lately, when i pour on so much importance to a little chat box. or i have to mend a friendship that i didn't know was struggling from a chat box convo. i mean really? o heck no, not on my watch. i may not be from 'round these parts but no instant message is going to define our friendship. i mean, yeah, sure, tug on my shirt electronically if you're bored or need a story or something. but like deep-seated, this is important, kind of conversations? sorry, nope, not gonna happen. call me. or instant message me that you wanna TALK to me at a convenient time. i need to hear your voice. or see your eyes. its hard to know what tone, inflection is coming across when i'm talk-- i mean typing. can you hear that i'm lovingly giving you a hard time? or that i'm bored? or i'm happy? no. its black and white text. and i don't care how great of a communicator you may be, its tough to know the little intricacies of human relations through the written word.

lately i've been thinking about stewardship. i was telling a friend of mine today (through chat of course) that court and i had gone around the neighborhood a few times with our bikes yesterday. lawn maintenance helped me realize how out of shape i am and that i need to work on that. God's given me this lawn to take care of, as well as a job, car, house, and yes, a body. its an act of service on my part to treat all of those things accordingly. and like it or not, this body is a temple. He resides in me. so what kind of temple does He have with me?

however noble or not so noble my reasoning behind it, i really think this will be good for me. there's just been too many a time lately where situations are chipping away at my identity and self-worth thanks to that stupid little chat box. i'm still a saint, i'm just not a saint who is going to be on chat for a while...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You made me think of God's word and how it is black and white text, but we have the Holy Spirit to reveal truths to us. "So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:17 Wow, God is amazing!