July 16, 2007

Primary Care Giver

Yesterday I had the privilege/challenge of being the primary caregiver of a two year old boy and a four year old girl. It was only 7 hours, but at some moments it felt like the longest times of my life.

I don't have a vast majority of experience with children. I've been getting more experience since moving to BR, but I'm still learning. Things I learned yesterday that exemplify my fledgling mom skills:
  • I freak out when my car computer tells me that the passenger side door is open driving down drusilla. the two year old in his carseat behind me has somehow played with the lock and handle simultaneously and managed to get the door open enough for the sensor to go off.
  • Kids come with so much stuff. Especially wee little ones. Carseats, booster seats, diaper bags. I thought, do they really need all this? But then I was incredibly thankful for the wipes in that diaper bag when I had to change a pull up.
  • They say anything that comes to mind. Whether its comments or questions. Comments like you're not a mommy cuz you don't have a fat belly. And questions. Lots and lots and lots of questions...
  • They like to cuddle when they have just bonked heads with someone in the playpen, or when they are tired.
  • They don't really care that you're tired. Especially when they want to run around like banshees...
So that was my day with the kids. Last night after church I was about to drop. I didn't have time to eat much all day so was getting the shakes and a headache. Which just means my blood sugar was getting low. My roomies go out to eat, I go home. Turn my phone on from silent and read a text message saying my tire is low. Sigh. I get back in the car, exhausted, and go up to a gas station on the corner. I know I don't have a tire gauge for my car, so I'm going to have to eyeball it.

I pull up to the hose and its out of order. I might have started tearing up. I'm tired, I'm hungry, and I don't really know what I'm doing with my tires. Anyone in BR I could call was at church or on their way to eat. Chin up allison.

I drive further up to a chevron station. There is a guy there airing up his tires. I get out, take the cap off my tire and wait for him to get done. He says, the hose isn't going to reach. Oh, ok. He tells me to back in. Ok, great! I think please help me do this. Please please. I back up, and turn around to see him drive off. Sigh. Awesome.

Moral of the story? I need to learn how to take care of my tires and I'm not positive I'll be a good mom. I had no idea what I was doing. In both cases.

No comments: