July 11, 2007

Not a Texan Dairy Queen

Tonight Courtney and I went to Dairy Queen. The only one I know of is out in Central. Which is about a 40 minute trip from our house. I was itchin' for a blizzard...

In my native homeland, the Dairy Queen sign is called the "Texas Stop Sign". There are quite a few in Texas. Even if we don't have a stop light in a small town, chances are there's a dairy queen...

So we go out there. Promptly get lost on a road called Sullivan, then call one of our neighbors whose from Central and he tells us to turn back around and hang a left at Hooper. So we head down hooper and I tell Court, I wonder if its by that sonic? Sure enough I see a teeny tiny sign that could moderately pass for a dq sign.

Wait. Um, its a gas station. What the mess? I've just driven over a half hour to go to a gas station?! The dairy queen is attached to a mobil gas station. So we go through the drivethrough. And wait 18 minutes at the window for our food. That's not a typo. One salad, one blizzard, one chicken finger basket (WITH GRAVY), and a turtle waffle cup sundae. 18 MINUTE WAIT. I was waiting for Ashton Kutcher to show up and tell us we were being punked.

We're sitting there in the drivethrough and I'm looking around at the comings and goings of the people of Central. After about ten minutes I look at Court and say, I'm confused. She says Why? Um, well, I thought Central was, uh, well. What? Well I just thought that Central was a bit more metropolitan, and from the small experience of the population I've seen sitting in this drivethrough, that doesn't seem to be the case. Luckily, Courtney explains Central to me.

By the time she's done, the girl opens the window to ask, why are you still here? We're waiting on our food. Oh, well, we couldn't reach the salads. She comes back a few minutes later and hands me Courtney's salad. Then disappears. Comes back again, what else do you need? Um, my chicken finger basket? Oh. Here.

By far the worst DQ experience ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love you. a lot.
you're a huge blessing.
carla.